develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2011

RE: [PATCH] export store_cop_label

Thread Previous | Thread Next
Jan Dubois
June 13, 2011 14:47
RE: [PATCH] export store_cop_label
Message ID:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 01:13:38PM -0700, Jan Dubois wrote:
> > The issue (as far as I am concerned) is that none of the porters has "blessed"
> > the now documented API as something they want to support going forward.  Instead
> > I read that Nicholas has a plan to implement a proper API for this kind of
> > functionality.  So I think we are all waiting for this to happen.
> What I thought I'd written was that
> a: I got the impression that there were doubts over whether this was a sane
>    API (to support indefinitely)(I know that fetch_cop_label changed about a
>    year ago - it wasn't "right" the first time)
> b: If no-one else gets there first, I was intending to look at it

Sorry to put words into your mouth (and thereby kind of volunteering
you, when you were still hoping for someone else to get to it first). I
guess I need to increase the font size on my browser/email/IRC client.

> but
> > Exporting the current symbol in maintenance branches is a completely separate
> > issue.  Personally I don't see a big issue with it, as it can't possibly
> > break other code; it simply exports an additional symbols that is already
> > exported on most platforms anyways, although technically this may not be covered
> > by our maintenance policy.  The biggest issues is that it will create
> > the expectation that the symbol will continue to be exported in newer releases.
> > This should cease to be a problem once the new API materializes.
> c: because the current maint policy that Jesse is working to is strict about
>    what can go into a maint branch, and because this change is *not* something
>    that the policy permits, then (on the assumption that the policy isn't going
>    to change) there wasn't an urgency for me to look at it "yesterday", as not
>    looking at this month it does not cause a (further) delay.
> By the current maint policy, this would be for 5.16.0, not for 5.14.anything.

Absolutely.  I was trying to say that when we have a proper solution for 5.16,
then there is no longer an expectation that the old symbol would be exported
as well.  Therefore it would do little harm in exporting it as-is in older maint
versions.  I'm just saying it is not *obvious* if this would be allowable
under the current maint policy; it would essentially be a judgement call by Jesse.


Thread Previous | Thread Next Perl Programming lists via nntp and http.
Comments to Ask Bjørn Hansen at | Group listing | About