develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2011

[perl #78332] perldoc does not show POD in UTF-8 properly

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
May 29, 2011 14:01
Subject:
[perl #78332] perldoc does not show POD in UTF-8 properly
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-16080-1306702882-1152.78332-15-0@perl.org
On Fri May 27 07:24:23 2011, dom wrote:
> On Mon Oct 11 03:57:02 2010, kappa@cpan.org wrote:
>
> > As a workaround for old buggy nroffs pod2man by default does not
> > render non-ASCII characters. It also provides a command-line argument
> > -u to allow them in the output. Alas, perldoc command cannot pass any
> > arguments to pod2man and as a consequence there's no way to easily
> > read PODs with non-ASCII characters with perldoc command.
> >
> > There should be a way to specify pod2man arguments.
>
> I've attached a patch from Niko Tyni to add --utf8 to the invocation of
> perldoc by default. This was originally filed at
>
> <http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=39000> but since
> Pod-Perldoc is maintained by p5p this was probably wrong.

From that CPAN ticket:
From the CPAN ticket (39000):
> According to Russ Allbery, the podlators author, the '--utf8' option
> can't be made the default because it breaks some nroff implementations.

Is there any way to detect whether the nroff implementation supports it?

Shouldn’t we also be checking for a UTF-8 locale? On Macs, one can
change the character set used for display, which, in turn, sets the
locale env vars. UTF-8 is the default.