2 problems with 5.13.11/win32 behind a proxy

From:
vadim.konovalov
Date:
March 31, 2011 22:20
Subject:
2 problems with 5.13.11/win32 behind a proxy
Message ID:
35BF8D9716175C43BB9D67CA60CC345E279D646E@FRMRSSXCHMBSC2.dc-m.alcatel-lucent.com
Hi,

I've just installed perl version 5.13.11,
and am mostly happy with it.

The minor problem is with getting cpan from our work network behind a proxy.

With a usual setting of http_proxy I have:

D:\>cpan

CPAN.pm requires configuration, but most of it can be done automatically.
If you answer 'no' below, you will enter an interactive dialog for each
configuration option instead.

Would you like to configure as much as possible automatically? [yes]

ALERT: 'make' is an essential tool for building perl Modules.
Please make sure you have 'make' (or some equivalent) working.

Windows users may want to follow this procedure when back in the CPAN shell:

    look YVES/scripts/alien_nmake.pl
    perl alien_nmake.pl

This will install nmake on your system which can be used as a 'make'
substitute. You can then revisit this dialog with

    o conf init make

Autoconfigured everything but 'urllist'.

Now you need to choose your CPAN mirror sites.  You can let me
pick mirrors for you, you can select them from a list or you
can enter them by hand.

Would you like me to automatically choose some CPAN mirror
sites for you? (This means connecting to the Internet) [yes]
Trying to fetch a mirror list from the Internet
Fetching with HTTP::Tiny:
http://www.perl.org/CPAN/MIRRORED.BY
HTTP::Tiny failed with an internal error: Cannot parse URL: 'proxy-spb.netsec.alcatel.fr:8080' at D:\perl-tests\perl-v5.13.11-deb\lib/CPAN/HTTP/Client.pm line 41

Fetching with HTTP::Tiny:
http://www.perl.org/CPAN/MIRRORED.BY.gz
HTTP::Tiny failed with an internal error: Cannot parse URL: 'proxy-spb.netsec.alcatel.fr:8080' at D:\perl-tests\perl-v5.13.11-deb\lib/CPAN/HTTP/Client.pm line 41

Fetching with Net::FTP:
ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/MIRRORED.BY

Here 2 things bother me:
ALERT: 'make' is an essential tool for building perl Modules.

This message is bogus, because I use well-supported 'nmake'.

D:\>perl -V:make
make='nmake';

Then, 'internal error' of HTTP::Tiny also bothers me, which is probably due to content of my http_proxy variable.
To say, this proxy variable works perfectly well in 'wget'.

Then, following message is displayed:

Proxy authentication needed!
 (Note: to permanently configure username and password run
   o conf proxy_user your_username
   o conf proxy_pass your_password
     )
Username:

this is also bogus, because my proxy does not actually require authentication, and entering empty user name and password just works.

Best regards,
Vadim.