[perl #80212] Bleadperl v5.13.7-234-g7b98bc4 breaks YAML::XS

From:
Karl Williamson via RT
Date:
March 31, 2011 14:31
Subject:
[perl #80212] Bleadperl v5.13.7-234-g7b98bc4 breaks YAML::XS
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-23755-1301607098-183.80212-15-0@perl.org
I never understood a large part of the discussion about this bug.  But I
did download and test, and can report on the current status.  On the
5.14 frozen blead it fails 10 tests, in one file, regexp.t. (attached)
All of them are from the .t expecting a particular regex stringification
that is no longer met.  Some are because of the new '^' default modifier
symbol, and the rest are the result of adding /u to indicate Unicode
semantics, and the regex has Unicode semantics.

I don't know how to proceed with this.  The changes to the core are
pretty well entrenched.  And we have never made any claim as to the
stability of regex stringification.  It really is not a good idea to
test for a particular stringification in a regex.  Besides the fact that
it isn't necessarily stable, getting the expected stringification may
not indicate that the underlying regex is correct.  Tests for actual
behavior are both more accurate, and less subject to the instability of
representation.

I worked some on this module in September.  My suggested fix at that
time  doesn't work now if I just plug it in.  I haven't played with it
to see why not.
--
--Karl Williamson