RE: 5.14.0 and MakeMaker (Re: Call for 5.14 release blockers)

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
March 25, 2011 13:15
RE: 5.14.0 and MakeMaker (Re: Call for 5.14 release blockers)
Message ID:
033901cbeb29$4ea53ef0$ebefbcd0$@activestate.com
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011, Christian Walde wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:42:57 +0100, Jan Dubois <jand@activestate.com> wrote:
>
> > Given that ActivePerl still contains some local patches to MakeMaker
>
> For what it's worth, make them available and i'll happily work them
> into what we have. In fact, it would be nice if you could publish a
> whole library of ALL your patches to modules so i can start hunting
> down authors and getting them into their stuff instead of breaking
> things whenever i install the newest dist from CPAN. ;)

We have the changes internally as individual commits in git topic branches,
but they are not easy for me to publish, and they are sometimes rebased too.
But for any released version you can just get the diff from the downloads
directory (only changes to the standard tarball; doesn't include any
additional external bits), e.g.

http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/releases/5.12.3.1204/ActivePerl-5.12.3.1204-294330-diff.txt

Note that these diffs contain changes from bleadperl commits that did
not meet the criteria for the official maint releases.

However, some of the changes work together with stuff we do in ActivePerl::*
modules, and pushing changes to official module version may require additional
work:

* making the changes more generic so that they are (potentially) useful to
  other distributions and not just to ActivePerl

* making corresponding changes to these ActivePerl::* modules and/or the
  ActivePerl build system as necessary

So you shouldn't push anything to other authors without checking with me first
if these changes really should continue to exist in their existing form.
E.g. a lot of the HTML stuff relies on Pod::HTML, which is a can of works
that maybe should be replaced rather than fixed.

In general it is my goal that these diff files should be as small as
possible (especially the parts that were not integrated from bleadperl);
I just didn't do a good job in making it happen yet.

> > I think I would prefer to keep blead as-is, and apply another local
> > change to make it work for the ExtUtils::Depends stuff while mixing
> > compiler versions.
>
> Basically you're saying you'll make sure that your 5.14 AP release
> will contain the fixes in EUMM 6.58? I think that would be a decent solution.

I only want to do a relatively minimal change, so I won't get everything
from 6.58.  I just want MakeMaker to look for *.lib files in addition to
*.a files when looking for libraries in GCC mode on Windows.  That should be
just 1-3 lines of code (I say without checking, so famous last words alert!).

Cheers,
-Jan