Re: 5.14.0 and MakeMaker (Re: Call for 5.14 release blockers)

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
March 25, 2011 07:52
Re: 5.14.0 and MakeMaker (Re: Call for 5.14 release blockers)
Message ID:
op.vswl9vj71fclwf@xenpad
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:38:00 +0100, Jesse Vincent <jesse@fsck.com> wrote:

> If there are specific catastrophic failures in the version of MakeMaker
> we're shipping that fit the definition of things that would get updated
> in a maint release, let's talk about them.  I'm happy to buy the beer.

EUMM 6.57_05 has compilation issues under ActivePerl as shown here: http://www.cpantesters.org/cpan/report/f3e82aaa-6c10-1014-a463-7ea05919af89 and also with true.pm and perl5i. (It is unable to find gcc or deal with .a/.lib correctly.) These issues are present with many CPAN modules and have only recently been adequately analyzed and resolved with considerable amounts of testing added in 6.57_07 so its compatibility with XS distributions on the Win32 is now massively increased. (Once a new release is done.)

I'm not sure how important you'd judge these issues, since i'm certainly no authority on perl releases. But i figured it'd be worth it to put these things out here for your consideration. :)

(As an aside: Most of the delay was my fault because i wanted to give people a chance to look over my changes.)

--
With regards,
Christian Walde