Re: 5.14.0 and MakeMaker (Re: Call for 5.14 release blockers)

From:
Jesse Vincent
Date:
March 25, 2011 07:38
Re: 5.14.0 and MakeMaker (Re: Call for 5.14 release blockers)
Message ID:
20110325143800.GQ10056@fsck.bestpractical.com

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 02:52:29PM +1100, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> I'm cutting 6.57_07 now.  I'd meant to do it a few days ago but had some minor
> release issues to clear up.  It's on its way to CPAN.  Consider it a release
> candidate for 6.58.
>
> There's unfortunately been a lot of change between 6.57_06 and 6.57_07 related
> to the meta file generation and that's going to require a lot of testing.  It
> could be pulled out and held over until after 6.58 if it proves very troublesome.
>
> Jesse said Perl is in code freeze, but there's still a few weeks left before
> he's going to cut RC0.  If we know this issue exists it seems bureaucratic not
> to take care of it now and actually release with 6.58.  Perl's RCs can act as
> MakeMaker's.

I'm very, very uncomfortable replacing MakeMaker with a new, untested
version after code freeze. That's the point of a code freeze.

It's unfortunate that MakeMaker didn't get updated and syncced before
the freeze, but it didn't.

If there are specific catastrophic failures in the version of MakeMaker
we're shipping that fit the definition of things that would get updated
in a maint release, let's talk about them.  I'm happy to buy the beer.

Best,
Jesse