utf8 locales and nl_langinfo()

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
March 24, 2011 13:44
Subject:
utf8 locales and nl_langinfo()
Message ID:
4D8BACEF.9000006@khwilliamson.com
I was doing some research on utf8 locales.  I'm not convinced we should
get rid of locale support in Perl; and I think I see a way to support
utf8 locales in 5.16.  I found a 2-year old web article that talks some
about this:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

Their suggestion is to use nl_langinfo(), and says that it is available
on most platforms.  Do we know of platforms where it isn't available?
The article gives an autoconf probe for it; plus a fall-back to use if
the function isn't available.