Re: use locale

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
March 12, 2011 03:44
Re: use locale
Message ID:
15525.1299930257@chthon
demerphq wrote on Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:37:39 +0100:

Good morning.  Well, or afternoon to you.

>> On a related note, aren't use locale and /pat/l
>> also pretty foul dead-ends?
>>
>> You're completely at the mercy of your vendor's locales,
>> which aren't all they're cracked up to be.

> I consider "use locale" broken and preserved only for backwards
> compatibility. IMO we should get rid of it, deprecate it, whatever.
> Certainly document it as "DO NOT USE THIS". :-)

That's what my current thought is, and I'm glad to see I'm not
alone in this.  I don't think see how one can reliably "fix" this.

I think we've all always known locales are broken, but the sooner
the documentation is updated to resist luring people into something
that doesn't work, the better.

> Thanks for giving me the opportunity to say this twice. :-)

After the day progresses a bit and we hear more people chip in
(Karl wakes up later than I do), I'll try to put together some
language to float by everyone.

I'm not talking about any code changes, just documentation.

--tom