Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial)

From:
demerphq
Date:
March 12, 2011 03:27
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial)
Message ID:
AANLkTimgBtopP3bUQgm+4z7geWVaHf3v4G7WR5mu9_Hh@mail.gmail.com
On 11 March 2011 23:56, Sam Vilain <sam@vilain.net> wrote:
> On 12/03/11 11:01, demerphq wrote:
>>> * Tom Christiansen <tchrist@perl.com> [2011-03-04 21:55]:
>>> It isn’t and you haven’t.
>> Agreed. Those who advocate "man" as the "only" right tool havent had
>> to work on systems with multiple perls installed, or they havent
>> noticed that they are reading the docs for the wrong version.
>
> See L<man/ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES#MANPATH>
>
> I think there is something quite nice about preserving the heritage of
> having the Perl manual pages in nice places in the system manual
> catalogue.  I'd hate for Perl documentation to go the way of GNU Info
> pages...

I work on boxes which have two perls. One is the production perl my
code runs on, and one is the "system perl" which is used by all the
goo that the operating system runs on.

I expect man to tell me about the system perl, and I expect perldoc to
tell me about the production perl. I also expect perldoc to tell me
about "uninstalled modules". IOW, it should be able to render any file
containing POD that is in my PERL5LIB, including the one im actively
working on and changing - I dont see how the latter is any business of
"man".

My personal opinion is that perldoc is the right way to view perldocs
in general, and man is the right way to read the docs for the system
perl that is installed on the box.

I also think that the ActiveState people have the right idea where
they have a nice locally installed html copy of all the docs with some
nice frameing and indexing so you can easily browse them in your
favorite web browser.

There is more than one way to do things, (but I'm with you that GNU
Info isn't one of them :-)

cheers,
Yves