Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial)

From:
demerphq
Date:
March 11, 2011 14:01
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial)
Message ID:
AANLkTimunv4F0g7DJKNh9n7d5pxnaxmyoL_n38t6wY7r@mail.gmail.com
On 9 March 2011 22:29, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> wrote:
> * Tom Christiansen <tchrist@perl.com> [2011-03-04 21:55]:
>> Perldoc is just a dodgy band-aide for prisoners of Bill. It's
>> not at all as good as Unix-style tools, as I believe I have
>> demonstrated.
>
> It isn’t and you haven’t.

Agreed. Those who advocate "man" as the "only" right tool havent had
to work on systems with multiple perls installed, or they havent
noticed that they are reading the docs for the wrong version.

> Given `alias pod=perldoc` in my
> .bashrc, I can do half of the commands you showed using fewer
> characters and sometimes fewer subshells. (Won’t somebody think
> of the subshells!)

Indeed.

> * Tom Christiansen <tchrist@perl.com> [2011-03-04 21:00]:
>> > Because you can alias perldoc to "pd" if you want to, so
>> > a number of characters argument is silly.
>>
>> I like using things I know how work.
>
> That’s *exactly* why I prefer not to get mixed up with the whole
> *roff + mandb ball and chain in my doc-reading.

I like using pod2any for this. Nice for printing out the docs.

Yves