Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
March 8, 2011 12:47
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)
Message ID:
20110308204725.GB7732@klangraum.plasmasturm.org
* Abigail <abigail@abigail.be> [2011-03-04 14:15]:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:17:47PM -0600, brian d foy wrote:
> > With some changes to Pod::Perldoc, we can support the
> > hierarchy with the old names as a deprecation cycle:
> >
> >      $ perldoc5.16 perlsyn
> >      Warning: perlsyn is now syntax, use `perldoc syntax`
>
> Oh, that's a good candidate for hates-software.
>
> People just seem to enjoy software that knows what they mean,
> but isn't going to do it because one didn't use the right magic
> incantation.
>
> Making "perldoc perlsyntax" and "perldoc syntax" do the same
> seems fine to me.

I’d suggest just making it `sleep 3` while the warning is shown,
then proceed to display the right document anyway: just enough
incentive for the user to learn the new incantation without the
tool being actively unhelpful to her.

* Abigail <abigail@abigail.be> [2011-03-04 17:15]:
> (of course "man perlsyn" is still shorter than "perldoc syntax").

That’s why I’ve had `alias pod=perldoc` in `.profile` for years.
I wonder if anything stops us from shipping a `bin/pod` script
with perl that just invokes `perldoc`.

Regards,