Microperl

From:
David Leadbeater
Date:
March 6, 2011 02:11
Subject:
Microperl
Message ID:
4A8A2FB6-26F4-466F-BA74-4EC364F9F6F7@dgl.cx
Hi,

Microperl has been broken for awhile -- since at least 2 years ago in blead, therefore in 5.12, I haven't looked further than that, see also RT #79556 for some discussion.

I have a patch that will bring it back, but that got me wondering, do we want to bring it back?

With the recent suggestion to remove the ifdefs for PerlIO microperl will have to be built with PerlIO. On my system that makes it a mere 40kb smaller than miniperl. I'm wondering if that justifies the maintenance burden of it?

There are some uses of it (and almost certainly others I haven't considered) -- it provides a very minimal environment that may find issues with #ifdefs not seen on normal systems; it also provides an easier way than the Cross/ stuff to cross-compile perl.

David