From:
Jesse Vincent
Date:
March 5, 2011 17:07
20110306010701.GG2297@fsck.bestpractical.com

Tom,

You've been very clear that you don't think core documentation should be
recommending that Perl programmers look to modules distributed on CPAN
to find the best way to do things in Perl.  I disagree with that
assertion quite strongly.  In 2011, I consider teaching new Perl
programmers that they should prefer to build their own functionality
when there are many better options on CPAN to be actively harmful
to our users and to our community.

It may be that in 18 months, you'll all have my head on a pike and the
community will rally around the task of undoing the atrocities
perpetrated during my reign of terror as Pumpking.  For now, however,
this discussion is moot.  Recommending CPAN modules as best current
practices is a best current practice.

Best,
Jesse