Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
March 5, 2011 03:15
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)
Message ID:
20110305121516.321dd059@pc09.procura.nl
On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 23:20:29 +0100, Abigail <abigail@abigail.be> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:17:48PM +0100, Leon Timmermans wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Dave Rolsky <autarch@urth.org> wrote:
> > > Because people are used to reading docs on the web for almost everything.
> > > Heck, even for Perl modules, I often go to search.cpan.org because it
> > > provides a better interface for reading the docs.
> >
> > Me too. `perldoc -f` is the only perldoc functionality I use, anything
> > longer I'll open a tab for in my browser.
> >
> > > Just because you (and other people on this list) are very comfortable with
> > > the status quo does not mean that it's good for everyone. I think we need to
> > > spend a lot more effort thinking about what's best for new users. What does
> > > a college kid getting into programming need to get started with Perl?
> >
> > Part of it is a generation gap. I can't noticing the man-users are
> > primarily people who (AFAIK) started using perl in the early 90s.
> >

> I'd think they are the people who've actually have the experience of
> debugging a problem on a box in the server room, with just a dumb
> terminal and no easy access to the big bad outside world.
>
> Now, *I*'m Perl savvy enough I know there's perldoc. But not everyone
> who needs to do debugging at 3 AM will realize that. Unix system
> adminstrators know man. They expect man to work. And they'll consider
> anything that doesn't come with man pages broken (and resist having
> such applications installed).
>
> Now, I don't care what people do with perldoc. Make it use <blink> and
> play podcasts of someone reading the documentation.
>
> Just leave the man pages.

I just did a round of hands-up at the Dutch Perl Workshop with about 45
people present ranging from beginner to expert.

Who uses ... to read perl (module) documentation:

- grep/cat	5
- man		12
- perldoc	almost all
- perldoc -f	almost all
- perldoc -m	4
- perldoc -l	3
- perldoc -q	4
- local html	1
- cpan site	all
- other web	7
- vi		6

--
H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl      Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using 5.00307 through 5.12 and porting perl5.13.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,