From:
Peter Scott
Date:
March 4, 2011 16:07
20110305000743.21677.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 17:40:05 -0600, brian d foy wrote:
> In article <20110304143153.15792.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com>, Peter
> Scott <Peter@PSDT.com> wrote:
>
>> (1) The most commonly agreed best practice O-O framework is Moose.
>>     Here's how to use it.
>
> I don't think you can support this statement. A very small slice of
> Perlers know what Moose is and like it. A slightly larger slice know
> that it exists but don't use it yet. Most people have never heard of it,
> just like most Perlers don't use most of Perl's features.  There's a bit
> of echo chamber there.
>
> That's nothing against Moose or its future. Let's just not misrepresent
> it.

I don't think it's misrepresenting.  The fact that most people using Perl
don't know what Moose is doesn't alter the fact that among people who have
the knowledge to make an informed choice, the most common choice *now* is
Moose.

Look at it this way.  Is the best practice to use some other framework, if
so, which one?  Is the best practice to use *no* framework?  Hardly.  The
most *common* practice is probably no framework, but our job is to educate
people as to the *best* way to do things, not regurgitate the
underinformed choices of the majority back to them.

A best practice isn't necessarily one that enjoys a large popular
following, only that the people writing the documentation come to a
consensus that it is so.  Among the people who influence the
documentation, I contend that Moose is considered the best O-O framework
by a clear majority, over any other framework or none at all.

By all means, let's not state that Moose is used by the majority of Perl
programmers, that would be very wrong.

--
Peter Scott