Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial)

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
March 4, 2011 13:17
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial)
Message ID:
AANLkTi=nMwcZ5Xx_awD6i_3E9wFNb9stxYGLV5_sMhu+@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Dave Rolsky <autarch@urth.org> wrote:
> Because people are used to reading docs on the web for almost everything.
> Heck, even for Perl modules, I often go to search.cpan.org because it
> provides a better interface for reading the docs.

Me too. `perldoc -f` is the only perldoc functionality I use, anything
longer I'll open a tab for in my browser.

> Just because you (and other people on this list) are very comfortable with
> the status quo does not mean that it's good for everyone. I think we need to
> spend a lot more effort thinking about what's best for new users. What does
> a college kid getting into programming need to get started with Perl?

Part of it is a generation gap. I can't noticing the man-users are
primarily people who (AFAIK) started using perl in the early 90s.

Leon