Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)

From:
Matt Sergeant
Date:
March 4, 2011 12:20
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)
Message ID:
4D714981.1030106@sergeant.org
Tom Christiansen wrote:
> Matt Sergeant<matt@sergeant.org>  wrote:
>
>> Because there is no "man" equivalent of "perldoc -f".
>>

> Sure there is.  Did you forget to run splitpod?
> The functions are in section 3.  Of course.

"Forget"? I had no idea I was supposed to. Should the installer do that
for us?

But what happens with this:

$ man 3 open
open(3pm)              Perl Programmers Reference Guide
open(3pm)

NAME
        open - perl pragma to set default PerlIO layers for input and output

SYNOPSIS
            use open IN  => ":crlf", OUT => ":bytes";

? (I genuinely don't know, because I rarely use man for perl docs).

>> Because there's no "man" equivalent of "perldoc -m"
>>

> Bah.
>
>    % pmpath Lingua::EN::Inflect
>      /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.12.2/Lingua/EN/Inflect.pm
>
>    % pmcat Lingua::EN::Inflect | grep -c '^sub\b'
>      42

*snip*

So in arguing that we shouldn't recommend things that aren't in the perl
core you're ... recommending using something that isn't in the perl
core? ;-)

None of the boxes I work on have those tools installed, and I wouldn't
even know where to find them.

>> Because man can't read the pod prettily in a local file.
>>

> Yeah, right.
>
>    % pod2text `pmpath Lingua::EN::Inflect`
>
>    % pod2man `pmpath Lingua::EN::Inflect`  | groff -mandoc -Tps

I don't see you invoking "man" there, just using tools that don't come
with perl again.

Matt.