Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)

From:
Matt Sergeant
Date:
March 4, 2011 10:46
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)
Message ID:
4D71337F.4060801@sergeant.org
Tom Christiansen wrote:
> What in the world would I type 10 characters instead of 3???
(*Why, I assume)

Because there is no "man" equivalent of "perldoc -f".
Because there is no "man" equivalent of "perldoc -q" (yes I don't use it
personally either, but I *do* refer newbies to the FAQ pages, which
still requires making sure the query finds what they need to know)
Because there's no "man" equivalent of "perldoc -m"
Because man can't read the pod prettily in a local file.
Because you can alias perldoc to "pd" if you want to, so a number of
characters argument is silly.
Because man can't deal with documentation from multiple perl installations.

There are plenty of reasons to prefer perldoc to man.

Again, not arguing against man, but because of the multiple uses of
perldoc I prefer to stick to one tool. (much like I stick to perl
instead of hacking bash and awk and sed together).

Matt.