Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial)

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
March 4, 2011 10:14
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial)
Message ID:
13957.1299262453@chthon
>> I must admit that I have never used this perldoc thing.
>>
>> Ever.  Truly.

> I think you're in a minority there - very few people look for the
> documentation for perl functions by loading "man perlfunc" and searching
> through, most do "perldoc -f <function>". And when helping people out on
> IRC or mailing lists I never load up each perlfaq file and grep through
> - perldoc -q is MUCH more efficient.

What in the world would I type 10 characters instead of 3???

I had no idea what those do, since I don't use the program.

Let's see...

As for the FAQ, um well, I don't have a great deal of cause
to consult it. :)

Just kidding.  Actually, I would always rather run my own searches.

> I'm actually surprised you've never used either of those features.

> It's also very useful (vital even) on Windows (except Cygwin) where
> there is no "man".

Considering there's no "tchrist" there, either, it's immaterial to me.
I have negative reason to recreate a perfectly functioning wheel. :)

That said, a very long time ago I wrote a spec, and a program,
that did a lot of neat stuff with perl documentation.  Because I
couldn't find a Prisoner of Bill to make sure it ran there for me,
it died.

--tom