Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
March 4, 2011 09:47
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)
Message ID:
20110304184730.7bf40037@pc09.procura.nl
On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 11:11:28 -0500, Matt Sergeant <matt@sergeant.org>
wrote:

> Matt Sergeant wrote:
> > Tom Christiansen wrote:
> >> I must admit that I have never used this perldoc thing.
> >>
> >> Ever.  Truly.
> > I think you're in a minority there - very few people look for the
> > documentation for perl functions by loading "man perlfunc" and
> > searching through, most do "perldoc -f <function>". And when helping
> > people out on IRC or mailing lists I never load up each perlfaq file
> > and grep through - perldoc -q is MUCH more efficient.
> >
> > I'm actually surprised you've never used either of those features.
> >
> > It's also very useful (vital even) on Windows (except Cygwin) where
> > there is no "man".
> I should clarify: I'm not suggesting removing the option of using "man"
> where it's available. I've been on systems where the time wait for
> perldoc to parse the pod is significant enough that man is much faster.

Even though I know perldoc, I still read the manual pages with man. I
*do* use perldoc, but seldomly to read the pod. I use the -l and -m
option to perldoc a lot. Code speaks quicte often loader than words.

--
H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl      Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using 5.00307 through 5.12 and porting perl5.13.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,