Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)

From:
Abigail
Date:
March 4, 2011 09:11
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)
Message ID:
20110304171138.GD28401@almanda
On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 11:08:35AM -0500, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> Tom Christiansen wrote:
>> I must admit that I have never used this perldoc thing.
>>
>> Ever.  Truly.
>>
> I think you're in a minority there - very few people look for the
> documentation for perl functions by loading "man perlfunc" and searching
> through, most do "perldoc -f <function>". And when helping people out on
> IRC or mailing lists I never load up each perlfaq file and grep through
> - perldoc -q is MUCH more efficient.

I'm one of the users that mostly uses perldoc in combination with -f;
for perldoc -q, I usually don't remember the question. And I'd never use
perldoc manpage; if only because 'man' is less than half the characters
of 'perldoc'. Though sometimes 'perldoc Some::Module' for a module that
hasn't been installed in the usual way can be handy.

> I'm actually surprised you've never used either of those features.
>
> It's also very useful (vital even) on Windows (except Cygwin) where
> there is no "man".

Yeah, but then, Windows doesn't come with Perl either.... ;-)

Abigail