Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
March 4, 2011 09:11
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.2.00.1103041104310.2213@urth.org
On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Abigail wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:56:37AM -0600, Dave Rolsky wrote:
>>
>> I also think we should consider writing the docs assuming they will be
>> mostly viewed on the web,
>
> Personally, I find that an almost alien thought.
>
> Why would anyone use a web interface for something that's already
> there locally?

Because people are used to reading docs on the web for almost everything.
Heck, even for Perl modules, I often go to search.cpan.org because it
provides a better interface for reading the docs.

Frankly, it's somewhat shameful that Perl doesn't ship with a great
in-browser doc reader app for installed docs. At the very least, we should
be generating html every time a Perl module is installed.

Just because you (and other people on this list) are very comfortable with
the status quo does not mean that it's good for everyone. I think we need
to spend a lot more effort thinking about what's best for new users. What
does a college kid getting into programming need to get started with Perl?

I don't want to start ranting about Perl dying, but I do think that
catering to potential new Perl programmers is very, very important. Right
now the Perl core docs don't do a very good job of that.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)