From:
David E. Wheeler
Date:
March 4, 2011 08:58
F38C77CC-DE9F-4ACB-A564-EF9E1FBB400A@kineticode.com
On Mar 4, 2011, at 6:39 AM, Tom Christiansen wrote:

>> The only part of the scenario that makes my skin crawl is how many
>> modules we'd have to add to the core to insert Moose.  Because it would
>> be insulting and/or inconsistent for core documentation to recommend a
>> *best* practice that couldn't be implemented without a CPAN sojourn.
>
> Peter, thank you for saying that so well -- especially the second sentence,
> but also the first one.

To me this is simply making the case to add a proper, canonical, simple OO implementation to core perl, starting with three keywords: class, has, and meth(?:od). CPAN modules will update to take advantage of them (hell, most of them *want* to), and we could document a very simple OO interface in the docs, and then point to Moose or whatever for users who need more.

The lack of a decent OO interface that takes care of many of the mundane details of OO implementation is an embarrassment.

Best,

David