Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)

From:
Matt Sergeant
Date:
March 4, 2011 08:11
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)
Message ID:
4D710F30.50004@sergeant.org
Matt Sergeant wrote:
> Tom Christiansen wrote:
>> I must admit that I have never used this perldoc thing.
>>
>> Ever.  Truly.
> I think you're in a minority there - very few people look for the
> documentation for perl functions by loading "man perlfunc" and
> searching through, most do "perldoc -f <function>". And when helping
> people out on IRC or mailing lists I never load up each perlfaq file
> and grep through - perldoc -q is MUCH more efficient.
>
> I'm actually surprised you've never used either of those features.
>
> It's also very useful (vital even) on Windows (except Cygwin) where
> there is no "man".
I should clarify: I'm not suggesting removing the option of using "man"
where it's available. I've been on systems where the time wait for
perldoc to parse the pod is significant enough that man is much faster.

Matt.