Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial)

From:
brian d foy
Date:
March 4, 2011 07:38
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial)
Message ID:
040320110938307264%brian.d.foy@gmail.com
In article <20110304131330.GE30220@almanda>, Abigail
<abigail@abigail.be> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:17:47PM -0600, brian d foy wrote:
> >
> > With some changes to Pod::Perldoc, we can support the hierarchy with
> > the old names as a deprecation cycle:
> >
> >      $ perldoc5.16 perlsyn
> >      Warning: perlsyn is now syntax, use `perldoc syntax`

> Oh, that's a good candidate for hates-software.
>
> People just seem to enjoy software that knows what they mean, but
> isn't going to do it because one didn't use the right magic incantation.

I think maybe you agree with him, but to clarify my point: that's a
warning not an error. We can make the software do the right thing
because we know what the user really wants, but at the same time
educate the reader about the new locations.

Of course, they aren't going to read the warning because they will skim
right over it to read the good bits.