Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial)

From:
Johan Vromans
Date:
March 4, 2011 02:58
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a new OO tutorial)
Message ID:
m2y64vjgox.fsf@phoenix.squirrel.nl
"H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.brand@xs4all.nl> writes:

> I like the idea, but worry about what old-school people like me would
> have to type when using "man" instead of "perldoc". What manual pages
> would it generate?
>
>  $ man perlvar
>  $ man perlrun

I must admit that I didn't even know you could do that.

Perl comes with perldoc, so why man, except for perl.1 ?
The current perl.1 already exclusively refers to the use of perldoc.

A quick look reveals that there are 177 perl*1 documents in my man tree,
176 of them do not belong there. Not in man1, man7 maybe, but I doubt
they should be in man at all, again, given that we have perldoc.

IMHO, perlrun.1 would be a better candidate for perl.1; all the other
documents can be used with perldoc.

-- Johan