Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
March 3, 2011 23:26
Re: Rethinking some perldocs (Re: Revising Perl's OO docs - a newOO tutorial)
Message ID:
20110304082644.3715881f@pc09.procura.nl
On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 23:17:47 -0600, brian d foy <brian.d.foy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> In article <31400.1299175742@chthon>, Tom Christiansen
> <tchrist@perl.com> wrote:
>
> > Please don't include anything in the standard distribution
> > that tells people they can't use the standard distribution.
> >
> > If you want to include something in the standard distribution
> > whose entire focus is outside the standard distribution, then
> > you should bring the thing that is outside, inside.
>
> The summary: can we reduce the size of the list in perl.pod and replace
> major sections of the docs with new material not based on what's
> already there?
>
> Some of Dave's work on his new OO tutorial may have come out of a Perl
> heretic talk I gave in Minneapolis around Halloween:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/brian_d_foy/perldocs
>
> The non-core-reference documented has accreted in an unplanned way
> based on whatever people wanted to contribute. It's nice that the
> information is there, but not so nice for the person who has to find it
> or decide what to read. The terse naming scheme and lack of hierarchy
> confuses ordinary people.
>
> For instance, where do you find the rules and documentation about
> creating variables? It's not in perlvar. While it might make sense to
> us that it's in perlsyn, to the newbie who sees a doc page that says
> "var", that's the first place they'd naturally want to look.
>
> Similarly, we have swirling around the core reference various quick
> starts, tutorials,  faqs, and so on.
>
> So, when it comes to OO, what should the new person read? Although Dave
> doesn't go so far as saying that he wants to replace the various
> non-reference pods, I think that's what should happen. Can we collapse
> perltoot, perlboot, perlobj, perlmod, and perlmodlib into fewer
> documents? Do we have to keep a particular document merely because it
> has always been there evne though no one is updating it?
>
> The problem, of course, is that you have to treat several topics almost
> simultaneously, including the Perl object system, the package and
> namespace system, references, and distributions, as well as popular
> add-ons from CPAN. Dave also correctly recognizes that most people
> suffer because they don't grasp OO from the start, so they already have
> a disadvantage.
>
> So, there are various fantasies I have about what the pod/ directory
> could be and how that might help people.
>
> First, I'd want to organize it:
>
>      pod/
>           reference
>           tutorials
>           quickstarts
>           faq
>           os-specific
>           changes
>           unicode
>           &c.
>
> Those are the easy ones, but then we can get a little sloppy. Old docs
> don't have to go away, they just have to find a new home that's out of
> the way. We can also be a bit looser with contributions, like Dave's,
>
>      pod/
> [...]

Enough? :)

I like the idea, but worry about what old-school people like me would
have to type when using "man" instead of "perldoc". What manual pages
would it generate?

 $ man perlvar

and

 $ man perlrun

are things I still type on a pretty regular basis (regular in the sense
of recurring, not as that I type it twice a day)

I don't like the prospect to have to type

 $ man perl-objects-tutorial-references

or any other long sequence and I *certainly* do not want to go in the
direction that "info" went and make any documentation useless unless
completely printed on dead trees. (That obviously belongs in
hates-software and not here)

So, did you also had ideas about "man" naming schemes?

--
H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl      Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using 5.00307 through 5.12 and porting perl5.13.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,