From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
March 3, 2011 11:46
4D6FF02A.1090503@cpan.org
Hi Tom, gang,

On 03/03/2011 08:26 PM, Tom Christiansen wrote:
>>> It feels wrong because it *is* wrong.  You cannot tell people,
>>> beginners especially, that they cannot use the Perl that came
>>> with their distribution for OO programming.
>>>
>>> That is not acceptable.
>
>> I agree. But I have a hunch that our assessment of the optimal
>> solution to this might be very different.
>
> I doubt it.  :)
>
> I am betting that the "optimal" solution is to import some 'mungous CPAN
> framework into the core distribution, trade TMTOWTDI in for TOOWTDI, and
> tell people that this is now *THE* way that Thou Shalt Do Objects in Perl.
>
> Are we ready to do that?

"We," as in the loose band of opinions that p5p are, are certainly not.
Neither am I.

Instead, I think we should slowly build our (or "our") way up from what
we have towards what has been proven to work in terms of interfaces.
Alas. It's hard work both technically and politically. Worse yet, I am
not up for it but can't prevent myself from saying I'd like to see that.

Best regards,
Steffen
(who's talk to code ratio is going to fall over if he replies to one
more email and thus needs to go back to work now.)

PS: One thing that I need to get out there is that all nit picking,
discussing and dissecting put aside, we should give some mad credit to
Dave for doing the work. Writing awesome docs is as hard as writing
madly clever code. This isn't aimed at Tom or anybody specifically, by
the way.