From:
Abigail
Date:
March 3, 2011 11:34
20110303193427.GA19128@almanda
On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 12:26:25PM -0700, Tom Christiansen wrote:
> >> It feels wrong because it *is* wrong.  You cannot tell people,
> >> beginners especially, that they cannot use the Perl that came
> >> with their distribution for OO programming.
> >>
> >> That is not acceptable.
>
> > I agree. But I have a hunch that our assessment of the optimal
> > solution to this might be very different.
>
> I doubt it.  :)
>
> I am betting that the "optimal" solution is to import some 'mungous CPAN
> framework into the core distribution, trade TMTOWTDI in for TOOWTDI, and
> tell people that this is now *THE* way that Thou Shalt Do Objects in Perl.
>
> Are we ready to do that?

Hash::Util::FieldHash *is* part of the core distribution, so we can
promote PBP's suggestion for inside out objects without adding more
modules to the core. ;-/

Of course, Dave's document is silent about it, and there are probably
another dozen modules/techniques outthere that aren't discussed either.

Picking one technique and promoting it as *THE* way of doing objects
(or anything) makes my skin crawl.

Abigail