From:
Matt Sergeant
Date:
March 3, 2011 11:23
4D6FEAAB.5040900@sergeant.org
Tom Christiansen wrote:
> Matt Sergeant<matt@sergeant.org>  wrote
>
>>> Please don't include anything in the standard distribution
>>> that tells people they can't use the standard distribution.
>>>

>> perlfaq is full of this sort of advice though.
>>
>> I'm sure you have a distinction, but I'd be curious what it is.
>>

> It's exactly what Abigail said way back on Monday:
>
>      I've only had time to briefly skim the document, but if I
>      have to summarize the document, it seems to boil down to
>      "Don't do objects yourself. Use something that doesn't come
>      with Perl".
>
>      Without further judging the content of the document,
>      that just feels wrong.
>
>      Not that I have much of a solution though.

And I kind of agree with the sentiment, but more because it doesn't
suggest a solution, but rather MANY solutions. And it doesn't even
suggest the solutions until the end of the document, which left me
reading the document going "But that code won't work unless you ...".
Perhaps I'm the wrong audience, but I do like to think I can still read
a document as though I were a beginner.

More specifically, I think it almost tries too hard to not cover
"bless". You could just add in a comment in there saying "Person->new
hides the bless call in this example.".

I just disagree with the basic sentiment of "don't tell people to do
things that they can't do with the standard distro" as we tell people to
do that in a number of places in the docs.

> It feels wrong because it *is* wrong.  You cannot tell people,
> beginners especially, that they cannot use the Perl that came
> with their distribution for OO programming.
>
> That is not acceptable.

I don't think it does say that [*], but I think it could say better what
it sets out to do.

Matt

[*] Specifically it says: If you want to know how Perl OO works under
the hood, the perlobj <http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?perlobj> document
explains the nitty gritty details.