From:
Philip Monsen
Date:
March 3, 2011 09:20
AANLkTimcmB5iCnwwf4rOHhN1yFJNb_7=-bgayFBqbKLK@mail.gmail.com
> My new document is available online for review:
>
>   http://urth.org/~autarch/new-pod/html/perlootut.pod.html
>   http://urth.org/~autarch/new-pod/pod/perlootut.pod
>
> This document has several goals. First, I want to introduce the reader to
> general OO concepts like classes and methods. Second, I want to explain
> how these are done in Perl. Finally, I want to get them started with
> writing OO code as quickly as possible.

After reading the new tutorial, I agree that it meets these goals.

> That final goal means I _do not_ explain lots of low-level stuff about how
> to create objects. I just point the reader to CPAN and say "here's some OO
> frameworks to explore".

It does this very charitably, steering newbies away from diving right
into bare-bones core OO but often mentioning the availability of
low-level details (with cross-references) if interest or need warrants
consulting
those.

> To the best of my knowledge, all of these documents date back to the
> initial Perl 5 release. No offense intended to Tom or Randal (the
> authors), but these documents have become extremely out of date in the
> intervening 16+ years. Basically, there's a _lot_ of low-level stuff that
> folks new to Perl 5 OO don't need to think about.

Arguably folks "old" to Perl 5 OO also don't need or want to think about
these most or all of the time.

I agree that it is time to synchronize the bundled documentation with
modern practice while keeping just enough low-level detail available
to assure that the core behaviors are documented.  I'd much rather start
with this tutorial, given the OO frameworks available today,
than with any of the existing bundled ones.  It's not that the bundled ones
don't have inherent value, it's more that modern practice has eclipsed
their being a reasonable starting point for doing Perl OO.

> * Replace all the existing tutorial docs with my new document
> * Consider rewriting perlbot into a perloobp document (OO Best Practices),
>   or just remove it, since there's lots of best practice advice available
>   elsewhere.
> * Revise perlobj to make sure it as complete and clear as possible.

Agreed on all points.  Thanks for putting time and effort into getting
the ball rolling on this.

--Phil Monsen