From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
February 28, 2011 13:22
AANLkTimaSe8o3KZYnOQnackogo2rDebcfwVE7cGLfg4a@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Dave Rolsky <autarch@urth.org> wrote:
> I've been working on a new OO tutorial for Perl. This is part of a larger
> goal for the Perl docs to revise all of the existing OO documentation.
>
> My new document is available online for review:
>
>  http://urth.org/~autarch/new-pod/html/perlootut.pod.html
>  http://urth.org/~autarch/new-pod/pod/perlootut.pod

Thank you for this, it looks really good. I've been wanting to have
this to lead people to for quite some time. Thank you.

> To the best of my knowledge, all of these documents date back to the initial
> Perl 5 release. No offense intended to Tom or Randal (the authors), but
> these documents have become extremely out of date in the intervening 16+
> years. Basically, there's a _lot_ of low-level stuff that folks new to Perl
> 5 OO don't need to think about.
>
> I'd like to remove all of these documents. They no longer reflect modern
> Perl 5 OO practice, and I think any newbie reading them will just be
> massively confused.

I *fully* support this. The current tutorials are confusing and
irrelevant to newbies. I feel they are doing more harm than good, and
would favor their removal even without this new document.

>  perlobj - Perl objects
>
> This is basically reference documentation. This could probably use some
> revision, but we obviously still want a reference.

Agreed. Actually I think some parts of perltoot's text could be moved
there. It's well written, it's just not relevant to someone who just
wants to get work done.

Leon