Re: [rt.cpan.org #65284] Module broken with 5.13.x developmentperl versions

From:
philippe.bruhat
Date:
February 1, 2011 14:26
Re: [rt.cpan.org #65284] Module broken with 5.13.x developmentperl versions
Message ID:
20110201222645.GA10792@swoosh
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 07:24:28PM -0800, Joshua ben Jore wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:11 PM, David Golden <xdaveg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's a bug in base.  It shouldn't set the $VERSION to something that
> > doesn't pass a "lax" version number test.
> >
> > If it *has* to set VERSION for some reason, (and I'm not convinced it
> > should) it should just set it to '0'.
>
> base.pm's documented version number has been '-1, set by base.pm'. Are
> you intending to change that?

Well, the current base.pm and VERSION don't seem to agree if one
uses ->VERSION on a module that uses base.pm and doesn't have
a $VERSION. Since both are distributed with the core, it seems
the least they could do is agree.

So either base.pm pick a default version that is a better number
than -1, or VERSION makes a special case for -1.

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 Even when the words are true, they may not speak the truth.