Re: [rt.cpan.org #65284] Module broken with 5.13.x development perlversions

From:
John Peacock
Date:
February 1, 2011 11:46
Re: [rt.cpan.org #65284] Module broken with 5.13.x development perlversions
Message ID:
4D486314.3060701@havurah-software.org
On 02/01/2011 02:24 PM, Jesse Vincent wrote:
>> The least harmful option would be to change base.pm, IMNSHO.  The
>> next least harmful is WONTFIX.  Under no circumstances should be
>> make a weird exception in version.pm for this, no matter how close
>> or distant we are from a release...
>
> I'm not yet at the point where I'm willing to take "make version.pm not
> choke on something that's been _documented behavior_ in the core since
> March, 1999" off the table.

That is, of course, your call to make.  I was just adding in my opinion.
  The origin of version.pm was to make some sense of the versioning
nonsense, and to whatever extent that it has succeeded, I hope we don't
add exceptions back in.

Just to make clear, base.pm has been non-compliant with version.pm since
the lax/strict code went in, which pre-dates 5.12.0 (it was introduced
in 5.11.4 see below).  And if it would have come up at that time, I
_still_ would have argued that the sensible change would be to bring
base.pm up to date, rather than carve out an exceptional exception.

John

---

commit 91152fc19d1c59a1213e39f74ac8a80f4a015f5e
Author: David Golden <dagolden@cpan.org>
Date:   Wed Jan 13 21:47:30 2010 -0500

     Omnibus strict and lax version parsing