Re: [rt.cpan.org #65284] Module broken with 5.13.x development perlversions

From:
John Imrie
Date:
February 1, 2011 11:31
Re: [rt.cpan.org #65284] Module broken with 5.13.x development perlversions
Message ID:
4D485F76.5050904@virginmedia.com
On 01/02/2011 18:45, David Golden wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Jesse Vincent<jesse@fsck.com>  wrote:
>> I'm uncomfortable with us changing base's reported version number this
>> close to 5.14...or possibly ever, depending on how crazy the darkpan
>> really is around this documented bit of base's API.
>>
>> (As I understand it, modern wisdom recommends people move to parent.pm
>> which doesn't have this problem.)
> I think that leaves two options:
>
> (a) change version objects to special case "-1, set by base.pm" as an
> allowed "lax" version (comparing equal to ????)
>
> (b) WONTFIX -- and leave people encouraged to switch to parent.pm
>
> I understand your feeling regarding changing base.pm this close to
> 5.14 and feel even more strongly about changing version.pm and core
> internals of version objects this close to 5.14.
>
> -- David
Would changing the $VERSION set by base.pm to a duleval "-1, set by
base.pm" / 0.00 solve this? or are versions allways taken from the
string slot these days?

John