Re: [rt.cpan.org #65284] Module broken with 5.13.x development perl versions

From:
David Golden
Date:
February 1, 2011 11:06
Re: [rt.cpan.org #65284] Module broken with 5.13.x development perl versions
Message ID:
AANLkTi=gSfyH91PEfnxj7RAVfW_NUCX58jO5rbzgE13S@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Jesse Vincent <jesse@fsck.com> wrote:
> I'm uncomfortable with us changing base's reported version number this
> close to 5.14...or possibly ever, depending on how crazy the darkpan
> really is around this documented bit of base's API.
>
> (As I understand it, modern wisdom recommends people move to parent.pm
> which doesn't have this problem.)

I think that leaves two options:

(a) change version objects to special case "-1, set by base.pm" as an
allowed "lax" version (comparing equal to ????)

(b) WONTFIX -- and leave people encouraged to switch to parent.pm

I understand your feeling regarding changing base.pm this close to
5.14 and feel even more strongly about changing version.pm and core
internals of version objects this close to 5.14.

-- David