Re: [rt.cpan.org #65284] Module broken with 5.13.x developmentperl versions

From:
Jesse Vincent
Date:
February 1, 2011 10:41
Re: [rt.cpan.org #65284] Module broken with 5.13.x developmentperl versions
Message ID:
20110201184106.GD5796@fsck.bestpractical.com

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:31:53PM -0500, David Golden wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Joshua ben Jore <twists@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:11 PM, David Golden <xdaveg@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It's a bug in base.  It shouldn't set the $VERSION to something that
> >> doesn't pass a "lax" version number test.
> >>
> >> If it *has* to set VERSION for some reason, (and I'm not convinced it
> >> should) it should just set it to '0'.
> >
> > base.pm's documented version number has been '-1, set by base.pm'. Are
> > you intending to change that?
>
> I'm strongly suggesting that it should.  Perl 5.12.0 introduced
> "strict" and "lax" version formats, where "lax" is essentially
> anything legal on a "use" line.  What base.pm sets as $VERSION is not
> consistent with the "lax" spec.  It was an oversight that should have
> been changed in the 5.12 release.

I'm uncomfortable with us changing base's reported version number this
close to 5.14...or possibly ever, depending on how crazy the darkpan
really is around this documented bit of base's API.

(As I understand it, modern wisdom recommends people move to parent.pm
which doesn't have this problem.)