develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2011

Re: [rt.cpan.org #65284] Module broken with 5.13.x development perl versions

From:
David Golden
Date:
January 31, 2011 19:32
Re: [rt.cpan.org #65284] Module broken with 5.13.x development perl versions
Message ID:
AANLkTi=MOzS2r4UNpTVOKinKcziTm4bCiEjFc-tLitV8@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Joshua ben Jore <twists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:11 PM, David Golden <xdaveg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's a bug in base.  It shouldn't set the $VERSION to something that
>> doesn't pass a "lax" version number test.
>>
>> If it *has* to set VERSION for some reason, (and I'm not convinced it
>> should) it should just set it to '0'.
>
> base.pm's documented version number has been '-1, set by base.pm'. Are
> you intending to change that?

I'm strongly suggesting that it should.  Perl 5.12.0 introduced
"strict" and "lax" version formats, where "lax" is essentially
anything legal on a "use" line.  What base.pm sets as $VERSION is not
consistent with the "lax" spec.  It was an oversight that should have
been changed in the 5.12 release.

-- David