develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2011

Re: Time to update POSIX.pm?

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
January 31, 2011 07:56
Re: Time to update POSIX.pm?
Message ID:
908.1296489389@chthon
Karl wrote:

> lc() only does full Unicode case mapping when use feature
> 'unicode_strings' is in effect.  When locale is in effect, it uses
> locale mappings.  So I don't see a problem

"Problem" is too strong a word; I think "quibble" or "niggle"
might do better.  I was thinking that if someone said POSIX::lc()
instead of the normal lc(), then they might be expecting it to
always use the POSIX sense.

I'm coming to think of POSIX compatibility more as a legacy
matter than something genuinely useful in a Unicode world.

I'd ask whether this is only for strings without the UTF-8 flag
turned on them, but that would just display my ignorance of
some of the hard work you've put in.  I'll go read.

--tom