develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2011

Re: Time to update POSIX.pm?

From:
Abigail
Date:
January 30, 2011 11:39
Re: Time to update POSIX.pm?
Message ID:
20110130193923.GA25081@almanda
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 08:07:05PM +0100, Mark Overmeer wrote:
> * Eric Brine (ikegami@adaelis.com) [110130 02:46]:
> > On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Mark Overmeer <mark@overmeer.net> wrote:
> > There's no way to simply check parameter list length using "function
> > signatures", if by that you mean prototypes,
>
> In the common case you can.  Of course, there are situations where it
> does not work.  A prototype of ($$)  works as well as  @_==2

Eh, no.

    sub foo ($$) {...}
    @arg = (1, 2);

    foo (@arg);

isn't the same as

    foo (1, 2);

But who says @args contains more then one element? In fact, in Nicks
example @arg only contains 1. Do you know there isn't any code out there
that uses 'POSIX::exit (@_)'?

> Do you really wish to keep back the evolvement of the language because
> you want to stay compatible with (all imaginable) sleeping bugs?

Slapping prototypes on existing functions has nothing at all to do with
language evolvement.

If I were to write POSIX now, I may considered using prototypes. But it's
there, it has been there for a long time, and I don't think the advantage
of a prototypes outweights the risk of breaking code.

Abigail