develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2010

move dump.c to a module?

From:
Reini Urban
Date:
December 27, 2010 06:02
Subject:
move dump.c to a module?
Message ID:
AANLkTim7yG+PunCkZeqmyJ9SQRmfpCYXQn_Y8QrCPWQB@mail.gmail.com
I would like to move most of the dump.c functions to a core module,
Devel::Dump would be a nice name.
shared - loaded on demand for normal perls or MAD,
static_ext for a DEBUGGING libperl.

I would rather like to move my_unexec() + unexec from perl.c to to dump.c,
which I will target after the compiler.
I'd really like to save state (and add support to restore state) for
long-running perl processes.
If it will be the old unexec (works ok), or something like the new
portable emacs dumper
I don't know yet.

Rationale:
- op and sv dumps are only used for debugging and MAD, and need not to
bloat libperl at runtime.