develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2010

Re: Contributing host-specific mods for 'nonstop'

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
September 30, 2010 06:45
Re: Contributing host-specific mods for 'nonstop'
Message ID:
AANLkTikMFu2U7ZzZs5MCJYR5NdMq9D48Sp3U7n3wY4tP@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Steffen Mueller <smueller@cpan.org> wrote:

> Randall S. Becker wrote:
>>
>> We're getting ready to contribute the (small number of) changes I made for
>> the File module and hints file to get perl 5.12 to build on NonStop. I'm
>> not currently a contributor but would like to see this happen. Anyone willing
>> to help?
>
> that is great to hear. Welcome!

Seconded.  Whether folks can help will largely depend on what sort of
help you need.

For someone doing actual porting (as opposed to a narrowly defined
feature or bug fix), I think the hardest thing to grasp about the
process is that lots of what ships with Perl is maintained "upstream,"
so changes to anything under cpan/ should in most cases be sent to the
relevant RT queue for that module.

This leads to various paradoxes.  For example, the core can't be built
without everything under cpan/ExtUtils-MakeMaker being in ship shape.
If you need to fix something there, policy would dictate that you
submit a ticket at:

https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=ExtUtils-MakeMaker

But it makes no sense to await upstream integration if something
breaks the core build.  So use common sense and bear in mind that most
of the policies are oriented toward easing maintenance on common
platforms rather than charting new territory like you're doing.

> The sources are managed with git. We maintain a document that describes
> access to the source repository and general policy here:
>
> http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/HEAD:/pod/perlrepository.pod
>
> In a nutshell, do
>
> git clone git://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git perl-git
>
> and apply your changes and build/test. When you're satisfied, create patch
> file(s):
>
> git format-patch -M origin..

This is all well and good if you have git, which you likely don't on
nonstop. You can also get the code via rsync:

rsync -avz --delete perl5.git.perl.org::perl-current blead

which is (oddly) documented in perlhack, not perlrepository.

Or, if you don't have rsync on nonstop, you can use git or rsync on
another platform to build your own snapshots.

Or you can get a snapshot via:

http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/snapshot/HEAD.tar.gz

And GNU unified diffs are just fine if git access is difficult or
impossible.  Do try to avoid patch bombs, though; smaller, targeted
changes are much easier to review and apply than a big 1,000-line
patch that supplies everything needed to build on nonstop.