develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2010

Re: [perl #3719] perl_eval_{sv,pv} does not trap syntax errors

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
September 26, 2010 15:44
Re: [perl #3719] perl_eval_{sv,pv} does not trap syntax errors
Message ID:
AANLkTi=+D5QGC0_KVNd91fAhB=CMC-PPeVBA3_XL6QcJ@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:18 AM, George Greer via RT
<perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> My embed-fu is weak, but it appears to be a simple fix.
>
> http://m-l.org/~perl/misc/0001-Fix-for-perl-3719-Preserve-for-perl_eval_pv-while-em.patch
>
> http://github.com/greerga/perl/commit/8ba06c38ccf1582a01143760851f9396c16b78f5
>
> or attached.

Disclaimer: I have embed-fu, but not so much internals-fu.

The G_KEEPERR flag seems to affect eval in at least 3 places
1) in doeval, right before compilation is tried.
2) in pp_leave, as the very last thing is does. I think this is only run on
3) in eval_sv, right after a successful eval.

I suspect this patch has a wider impact than intended. I don't really
know if that's really a problem though.

Also, the fact that this G_KEEPERR behavior of eval_sv is not
documented bothers me.

Leon