develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2010

[perl #76138] perl inadvertently destroys signal handlers as of f746176000

From:
Florian Ragwitz via RT
Date:
September 6, 2010 08:26
Subject:
[perl #76138] perl inadvertently destroys signal handlers as of f746176000
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-5116-1283786778-114.76138-15-0@perl.org
On Sun Sep 05 12:48:50 2010, sprout@cpan.org wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2010, at 10:24 AM, Florian Ragwitz wrote:
> > Without those 4 lines, all the tests still pass.
>
> That’s because there are not enough tests. I’ve attached a test for
>    @main::ISA. I managed to get ‘use overload’ from main to produce
>    warnings, but I can’t reproduce it in a test script without
>    fresh_perl. Is there any reason we couldn’t switch lib/overload.t
>    over to test.pl?

The only reason I could think of was test.pl using overloading, which
doesn't seem to be the case, so this change should be safe, and an
additional test for main::OVERLOAD in addition to main::ISA would seem
like a very useful thing.

> > In that test, you do
> >
> > +sub tests'VERSION { $tests += pop };
> >
> > Is using ' instead of :: there actually relevant to the test? It
>    seems
> > like there's a pretty broad consensus on not doing that anymore for
>    new
> > code within the core.
>
> OK, I’ve changed it. That was copied and pasted from elsewhere. But
>    doesn’t it make it less likely that we’ll catch buggy interactions
>    between features if we try to keep the tests too standardised?

Yes, possibly. I've asked that question on irc, and the answer I got
from our pumpkin was "Don::t", which I relayed to you. I'm not entirely
what the reasoning behind it was.

> Attached is a new patch.

Thank you. I applied this to blead with some minor modifications. I did
s/magicalise/magicalize/ in gv.c, as "magicalize" was already used in a
couple of places there, while "magicalise" wasn't at all, and I changed
the value t/op/leaky-magic.t assigns to the special $^Variables in order
to avoid a warning when assigning something containing invalid -D flags
to $^D.