develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2010

Re: Why don't we have pod/perldelta.pod?

From:
Jesse Vincent
Date:
September 1, 2010 11:19
Re: Why don't we have pod/perldelta.pod?
Message ID:
20100901181757.GN19167@fsck.bestpractical.com

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 02:44:12PM +0200, Florian Ragwitz wrote:
> Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> writes:
> >
> > I can't remember which way round it was before I automated the copy (or
> > symlink, depending on platform). IIRC I did have a think about which way was
> > "better", and my reasoning for doing it the way it is currently was
> >
> > a: To avoid file renames in the repository
> >    [It felt "wrong", and I wasn't certain how well tools tracked blame across
> >     them]
> > b: To avoid repeatedly having the same file added and removed from the
> >    repository.
> >    [The removal being a consequence of the "rename"]
> >
> > I'm aware that git can handle all this cleanly - IIRC actually perforce could
> > to. It just felt wrong in my mental map of (future) source history. I tend to
> > think of the files as straight lines heading into the future, so the same name
> > being used again and again becomes a whole set of disjoint line segments,
> > colinear but not continuous, *and* each of these segments then has a bend in
> > it as it's renamed.
> >
> > So that's double ugly, at least in my mind's eye.
>
> OK, I understand that, and I agree that it is somewhat ugly if you look
> at it this way.
>
> Question is: is a bit of ugly worth the slight benefits the proposed
> change would provide, given that there don't seem to be any technical
> reasons against it?
>
> My answer to that is "yes".

I think I'm with Florian here.  To me, one of the biggest potential
advantages is that it makes it much easier for us to start demanding
that patches come with perldelta entries.

We already do a fair bit of munging of perldeltas - things trickle back
from blead to maint and as of 5.14, per Dave's suggestion, we'll be
obliterating the 5.13 perldeltas as we release 5.14.0.