[perl #77552] Re: Bleadperl ac56e7d breaks Devel-Cover-0.70

From:
Paul Johnson
Date:
August 31, 2010 13:35
Subject:
[perl #77552] Re: Bleadperl ac56e7d breaks Devel-Cover-0.70
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-5116-1283250715-144.77552-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  "Paul Johnson"
# Please include the string:  [perl #77552]

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 04:36:21AM +0200, Andreas J. Koenig wrote:

> cpan rt ticket:
>
>   https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=60901
>
> git bisect:
>
>   commit ac56e7de46621c6f2e373d11984c0a0fe4839b0b
>   Author: Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>
>   Date:   Fri Aug 27 21:48:55 2010 +0100
>
>   Peephole optimise adjacent pairs of nextstate ops.

Thanks very much for flagging this up so quickly.

The primary effect of the optimisation Nick made here, as far as
Devel::Cover's tests are concerned, is that each "use" statement now
translates into two statements rather then three, as had been the case
previously.

The solution is simple.  I will fix up the tests and put out a new
release of Devel::Cover.  However, I won't do this until there has been
a perl release with this optimisation, otherwise people using 5.13.4
will start getting failures.  (I track behavioural changes based on
perl's version number.  I don't think it makes any sense to be more fine
grained than that.)

In the meantime, anyone wanting to use Devel::Cover under bleadperl can
simply ignore the test failures and note that their coverage has
probably gone down as a result of this optimisation.

I read someone's blog yesterday where they had made a git commit hook
which failed if the coverage with the commit was lower than the previous
coverage.  They may get a surprise the first time they commit something
under 5.14.0.

--
Paul Johnson - paul@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net