Re: mauve::reftype()

From:
John Peacock
Date:
Re: mauve::reftype()
Message ID:
4C7CF5C0.3080100@havurah-software.org
On 08/30/2010 03:18 PM, David Golden wrote:
> See my point above about version.pm.  In retrospect, I think the
> *worst* design decision with version objects was to compile the
> behavior into core and leave the public API in a module, followed by
> the decision to try to provide a compatibility layer for older perls.

It's really the only way that it could work; Perl itself needs to have
access to the version object creation and comparison way before any
modules get loaded.  And the public API isn't really in a module, in
that you can use version->new without 'use version':

$ perl -e 'print version->new("1.2.3");'
1.2.3

version.pm is well and truly "baked in" to the Perl core.

> [To be clear, I mean nothing personal intended towards John Peacock in
> that comment.  Sorry, John, I know you've sweated blood over this and
> have done heroics to keep it working, but if we could have a
> "do-over", version objects might be at the top of my list.  The
> downstream pain for the toolchain has been enormous.]

FWIW, I agree 1000%.  But can we start with a do-over for v-strings and
do them right the first time?  Then version.pm would never have needed
to exist... :-(

John