Re: Compiling with clang

From:
Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
Date:
Re: Compiling with clang
Message ID:
AANLkTint9-dmpdUjRsg=w5NnZ2A=ta7N26N7m9YB52aj@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 09:26, Tim Bunce <Tim.Bunce@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 01:55:34PM +0000, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 16:10,  <hv@crypt.org> wrote:
>> > I tried compiling bleadperl with clang (<http://clang.llvm.org>), which
>> > has nicely picky, verbose error messages.
>> >
>> > I fetch clang direct from svn. clang --version initially gave
>> > 'clang version 2.0 (trunk 102861)', and later (after (5) below) as
>> > 'clang version 2.0 (trunk 103176)'. gccversion comes out as
>> > 'GNU cc 4.2.1 Compatible Clang Compiler'.
>>
>> Here's an update 3 months later on building perl with clang from SVN:
>
> Thanks. How's the runtime performance of the clang-built perl?

I did a test where I compiled with GCC 4.4 and clang from SVN trunk,
both with -O3 and without debugging and ran "make test_harness" in a
Benchmark.pm loop with $numcpu+1 test jobs.

clang was consistently 5% slower on that test. I asked in the #llvm
IRC channel and found that clang's performance should be 10-15% faster
than GCC 4.2, but that GCC itself has gotten faster since then.