RE: What do we do about perl -pi on Windows?

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
RE: What do we do about perl -pi on Windows?
Message ID:
046701cb3817$534cdaa0$f9e68fe0$@activestate.com
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 22:44, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avar@cpan.org> wrote:
>
> > Shouldn't we either die loudly saying that Windows doesn't support
> > clobbering with "perl -pi"
>
> It turns out (as pointed out by Jan Dubois) that we've been doing
> exactly that since Perl 3:
>
>     http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/ff8e2863?hp=8725079938
>
> Since about then we've been dying on DOSISH and AMIGA, it's just
> Cygwin that's the exception.
>
> Maybe that exception can be removed now? It was just added as a
> workaround to get the KDE build system working on Cygwin. It seems odd
> to have such a monkeypatch in perl core.

The problem is that the monkeypatch is documented (in README.cygwin), so
just removing it doesn't feel quite right either. Ideally someone would
go in and update the patch to remove the backup file when it is being
closed. Then this patch could be enabled for other DOSISH platforms too
(maybe with a somewhat more obscure extension than .bak to avoid
conflicts with existing filenames).

Cheers,
-Jan